Soldering Iron/Station Recommendation

Pickups, magnets, microphones, amps, speakers, cabs, whatever...
Eric Schmitt

Soldering Iron/Station Recommendation

Post by Eric Schmitt »

I've been using a simple 40W radio shack soldering iron for the longest time. I've finally wore out my tip. Went to go buy a few new tips only to see that between tax and shipping the tip is more than what I paid for the iron. So I though to look into getting a new one I'm just not sure what to go for.

The specs on the radio shack iron is temp of about 640F/340C. Since I have a number of the Ryobi 18V batteries I looked at one of those but it says it heats to 900F. The radio shack iron has been just about right for me to get in and out quickly without burning components. Will the Ryobi one be too hot or no?
Dick Hutchings

Re: Soldering Iron/Station Recommendation

Post by Dick Hutchings »

Unless you're soldering ICs it really doesn't matter. The hotter the better but remember to turn it off when you're done.

Soldering tips are consumable so check the price of replacement tips before making the purchase and maybe get some to have on hand.
Dick Hutchings
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

This solder iron has a on-board temperature controller switch eliminating the station. It heats up extra fast. I bought one last year and really like it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FZPSX3G?ta ... ilKDjTlpSQ

Edit: I found a cheaper, lower wattage iron:

https://www.amazon.com/Hakko-FX601-01-F ... al&sr=1-28
MIMF Staff
Dick Hutchings

Post by Dick Hutchings »

Those look pretty good Barry. I have the Weller station but if it ever craps out, I'll go with one of these for sure.
Dick Hutchings
Halgeir Wold

Post by Halgeir Wold »

640F/340C is certainly on the low side.. most pro irons go to 850-900F, but are adjustable.... That Ryobi thing is probably adjustable, but reasonable exact temp's seems difficult... FOr soldering elctronics, too low wattage and temp is not good, as it leads to long heating times, which transfers more heat to sensitive components.... There are plenty of good adjustable irons in the 50-70$ range...
Personally I have at least 4 generations of Wellers, so if one is prepared to spend the money, that's certainly my recommendation. Weller tips ( and others) are nickel plated so last quite a long time... just use good cleaning sponges/mesh and maybe a small can of tip cleaner...
Tom Snape

Post by Tom Snape »

I am very happy with my Hakko FX888D soldering station. I bought it for typical to small electronic soldering jobs.

We use more expensive Weller soldering stations at work, but the Hakko works just as well for me.
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

I recently bought some more tips for my Hakko iron. While replacing the tip on my iron I realized why it heats up so quickly. The tips are hollow and the heating element extends into the tip a considerable distance. So the heat has a lot less distance to travel.
MIMF Staff

Return to “Electronics”