6 way rotary switch wiring diagram

Pickups, magnets, microphones, amps, speakers, cabs, whatever...
Michiel Wildenberg

6 way rotary switch wiring diagram

Post by Michiel Wildenberg »

Hi there,

For a new build of a semi hollow electric guitar I'm searching for a wiring diagram for 2 widerange humbuckers with a 6 way rotary switch and 1 tone and volume knob.

the positions would be:
1. Humbucker bridge
2. Single coil bridge (the coil closest towards the neck)
3. Both humbuckers
4. Both single coiles (both coils closest towards the neck)
5. Single coil neck (closest to the bridge)
6. Humbucker neck

I can't seem to find a diagram for this wiring on the interwebs. Is this a very unconventional wiring diagram? I know PRS does something similar but still slightly different.
Joshua Levin-Epstein

Re: 6 way rotary switch wiring diagram

Post by Joshua Levin-Epstein »

You need to create your own diagram. Get the switch and examine how it works. You'll need to think of each coil separately. This is a good exercise, but start early in the day.

You're going to get big differences in volume as you go through the positions, so you might consider that when you decide the function of each position. When I do stuff like this, I like things to go from thick to thin. Think of the 4 way tele switch.

You can accomplish this (except for position 5) with a standard selector and a switch that cuts coils in both pick-ups. This would give you an opportunity to hear the sounds before committing to a pretty complicated wiring.
Peter Wilcox

Re: 6 way rotary switch wiring diagram

Post by Peter Wilcox »

This might get you most of the way there with just a standard 5 position strat type switch - but won't give you both humbuckers, and the neck single coil is toward the neck. The output would just go to a standard volume and tone control circuit.

http://www.caliguitar.com/pickup/data/w ... 5way_s.pdf

Here's the wiring color code that should correspond:

Maybe I can't fix it, but I can fix it so no one can fix it

Return to “Electronics”