Seeking wiring guidance

Pickups, magnets, microphones, amps, speakers, cabs, whatever...
Johan Van Zalen

Seeking wiring guidance

Post by Johan Van Zalen »

Hello lads !

I'm a French-Dutch composer currently living in Paris, carving my way through frequencies.
I am passionate about wood working and electronics and one of my most notable projects as a guitarist is to have restored and customized a Yamaha Pacifica i found on the streets. It was burnt and stabbed, agonizing behind a dustbin and i carried it home on my shoulder through bus and avenues like a true rock star.
I did the electronic wiring by a professionals after i messed it up due to very little knowledge (i burnt a potentiometer :roll: forgive me please)
Eventually everything turned out fine, and she's got a whole story of hers i'd love to tell if you're curious about it !

The reason i am posting here today to inquire your knowledge is because i am working on a second guitar, previously a Cort X2 (my first electric guitar) that i abandoned for years until it got rusty and the electronic stopped working.
I redesigned the shape to something more original, sanded the paint and applied a new one, varnished it and it's now ready to be wired.
Would you guys guide me through the process to not mess this up this time please?

I currently have purchased two p90s, the guitar has one tone and one volume potentiometers (300k), a .047MFD capacitor, and a 3 way switch.
I have a hard time understanding those wiring schemes and i would really appreciate your help.

If there is anything more you'd like to know, feel free to ask me and i will gladly reply.

Thank you for your time ♥

You can find a picture of "Leaf" and some of the work i'm doing on my new guitar in the attachment :)
Attachments
20201028_113617.jpg
DSC_4756.JPG
IMG_20210110_115326.jpg
IMG_20201030_122529.jpg
Peter Wilcox

Re: Seeking wiring guidance

Post by Peter Wilcox »

You could start with something like this. I don't have any experience with p90's (only single coil and humbuckers) - are yours 2 or 4 wire, and is your switch a Gibson toggle type? 300k pots and the 0.047uF cap should be fine.
p90-2-p0t.jpg
Maybe I can't fix it, but I can fix it so no one can fix it
Johan Van Zalen

Hello and thank you for the reply !

It's the original switch from my old guitar it has 3 positions but 8 wiring pads.
The p90s are double wired if i am not mistaking.
This scheme looks more understandable to me ! Thank you !
I have a question about the ground, is the jack output considered as the ground? Or is it the wire that was previously soldered on the bridge?
Or is it something else i am missing ?

Thank you, i really appreciate your help !
Peter Wilcox

Post by Peter Wilcox »

Does your switch look like this https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-fxdzp2u ... 91.jpg?c=2

or like this https://media.musiciansfriend.com/is/im ... 00x500.jpg

The grounds are all connected to each other, and are connected to the amplifier ground through the sleeve of the jack (not the tip - that's the signal output). The ground wires of the pickups, the wire from the bridge, the 3rd lug of the volume pot and the capacitor are all connected to ground.

If your pickups are 2 wire, you can just use a standard telecaster diagram, depending on the type of switch you have.
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/27/19/bb ... 8698a8.jpg

Here's connections for the inline import switch :
3-way-import-switch-tele.jpg
This all may be confusing - feel free to ask questions.
Maybe I can't fix it, but I can fix it so no one can fix it
Johan Van Zalen

Hello Peter,

Thank you for those very precious information !
My switch looks like the first link you've sent and the Inline import switch connection diagram.
Therefor i believe the last picture included in your answer is fitting my needs.
I will take the time to dig it and come back to you if i encounter difficulties to understand it !

Thank you so much you're the best !

Return to “Electronics”