silly question about finish on bindings

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Brian Evans

silly question about finish on bindings

Post by Brian Evans »

I have a probably silly question about finish on bindings. The bindings in question are plastic, white with black/white/black purfling, and the guitar is finished amber. I am about finished spraying, about to scrape the colour off the bindings, and don't have enough finish left to do what I would normally do which is spray around three coats of clear. Would you leave the bindings scraped clean and sand/polish as normal, or would you drive 200 miles to buy another can of clear?
Peter Wilcox

Re: silly question about finish on bindings

Post by Peter Wilcox »

Try it and see what it looks like. I don't know what kind of finish you're using, but I'd get it online if it's nitro. http://reranchstore.stores.yahoo.net/nitclearcoat.html
Maybe I can't fix it, but I can fix it so no one can fix it
Freeman Keller

Post by Freeman Keller »

Whatever you think but I happen to like the way lacquer ages on white bindings. I would also be concerned about that little edge of finish and whether you can perfectly scrape the binding back but not touch the rest of the finish.

Remember too that you've put a thousand bucks and half your life into this guitar, take the drive.
Brian Evans

Post by Brian Evans »

I decided to take the drive. It's EM6000 and Lee Valley told me they don't ship it. Maybe it's a Canadian thing. I know nitro-C is considered hazardous material and can't be shipped without paying a huge surcharge, but I don't know why you couldn't ship EM6000. Maybe they are worried about the can coming open if the package is dropped.
Brian Evans

Post by Brian Evans »

Apparently they will ship it, in warm months. Not that June has been notably warm, but they don't ship it when it might freeze. Two quarts on the way by UPS.

Return to “Archtop Guitars and Bass Guitars”