Good case for first build

If you have a string instrument of any kind that needs fixing, a mistake you made in building a new instrument that you need to "disappear," or a question about the ethics of altering an older instrument, ask here. Please note that it will be much easier for us to help you decide on the best repair method if you post some pictures of the problem.
Joshua Levin-Epstein

Good case for first build

Post by Joshua Levin-Epstein »

Hi everyone,

I am working on one of the Stew Mac OM kits and I'm assuming I'll actually get it done. Anyone have suggestions on a good hard case? I don't need a travel case.

In my mind's eye, the old Guild 45xx case would be fine. Black on the outside, fuzzy on the inside, lots of glue in the lid.

Any input would be appreciated.
John Clifford

Re: Good case for first build

Post by John Clifford »

The Guardian vintage cases are nice:

http://www.guardiancases.com/cg044.html

You'll have to look up the right size.
Freeman Keller

Post by Freeman Keller »

Assuming they will fit a production case, all of my guitars get a TKL. If they won't fit I custom order one from Cedar Creek. However in a similar thread at the other lutherie forum, everybody is singing the praises of Hiscox. I haven't used them but will check next time.
Brian Evans

Post by Brian Evans »

I like the TKL's, they make a fairly wide range of styles and qualities and price points, from kind of OEM factory to high end road cases. Hiscox is, from what I've heard, the latter. I only own a few cases, so I can't take more than one guitar of a given size out of the house at once. :)
Freeman Keller

Post by Freeman Keller »

Brian Evans wrote:I like the TKL's, they make a fairly wide range of styles and qualities and price points, from kind of OEM factory to high end road cases. Hiscox is, from what I've heard, the latter. I only own a few cases, so I can't take more than one guitar of a given size out of the house at once. :)
In my humble, every guitar, particularly a hand built one, deserves a good fitted case and should be kept in it. You have no idea how many guitars I see with damage that a case would have prevented - broken heads from falling off a stand (or the wall), dehydration issues from being, well, dehydrated. You've spent a bunch of money and a boatload of time building it, give it a good case

Brian Evans

Post by Brian Evans »

I guess I am contrarian, I keep all my guitars out in racks in my guitar room. None of them live locked up in cases.
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

If you don't need a case that is bullet proof you can sometimes find good deals on ebay. I've gotten a few stock Taylor cases for a reasonable price ( I assume someone upgraded to a better case). I have some guitars in cheap pasteboard cases- which are good enough for guitars that stand in a closet and aren't subject to transportation accidents. I also make old fashioned coffin cases out of 1/2 inch pine and 1/8th inch plywood. For situations where a modicum of care is used they work fine.
Steven Smith

Post by Steven Smith »

Brian Evans wrote:I guess I am contrarian, I keep all my guitars out in racks in my guitar room. None of them live locked up in cases.
Me too.

Return to “String Instrument Repair: Practical and Political Issues”