Washtub cello

If it's not a guitar or a bass guitar discussion, and it's got strings, put it here.
Jeremy Osner

Washtub cello

Post by Jeremy Osner »

Anybody built a washtub cello? I found a couple of examples on the internet, they all seem to put a wooden soundboard over the open front of the washtub which seems like a mistake to me. I just finished mine, I use the metal bottom of the washtub as soundboard and put a thin wooden cover over the open back of the washtub. (Picture taken before I had covered the back.) It sounds ok! Here is a recording (I'm new to cello playing so plenty of sour notes, but you can get a sense of the instrument's tone and resonance) -- https://www.facebook.com/rensoj/videos/ ... 898753879/

JC Whitney

Re: Washtub cello

Post by JC Whitney »

That’s fantastic - especially like the f holes.
Jeremy Osner

Post by Jeremy Osner »

Notes on the design and construction are on my blog, starting here: http://readin.com/blog/?k=project:tccello&o=a
Bryan Bear

Post by Bryan Bear »

I really like the vibe of this one. That neck shape/orientation really fits!
PMoMC

Take care of your feet and your feet will take care of you.
Bob Francis

Post by Bob Francis »

Bryan Bear wrote:I really like the vibe of this one. That neck shape/orientation really fits!
Agreed!
Aaron Helt

Post by Aaron Helt »

Simple and cool!
Mark Wybierala

Post by Mark Wybierala »

Inspiring, and you're a braver man than I for posting a video. I read your entire journal - thank you for some of the in-depth explanations. What a glorious result and celebration of alternative instruments.

Return to “Other Stringed Instruments”