ukulele neck/body join

Ukulele discussions
Kary Karahadian

ukulele neck/body join

Post by Kary Karahadian »

Starting my first ukulele, a concert. considering the small diameter of the sound hole, i'm assuming a bolt on neck is not used. Are most built with glued M&T or dovetails? I'm a classical builder, considering an old fashioned Spanish heel.

Are the tops typically built flat rather than domed?
Adam Savage

Re: ukulele neck/body join

Post by Adam Savage »

The small sound hole is no barrier to using a bolt for neck attachment. I'm still very much at the novice end of guitar building, but the two ukes I've built both had bolt on necks. I used a cheap ratchet-spanner-thing with a hex attachment to tighten up. Worked well.
The tops I built had a slight dome, but I couldn't tell you if that is the norm or not. I can't imagine there's much of a downside though.

Cheers,
Adam
Stephen Neal Saqui

Post by Stephen Neal Saqui »

M&T is fairly common and not a bad solution given that there't so little tension...make a good fit though!

I use a dovetail because it's the best connection of the neck and body. There is a learning curve but it's so valuable to know as you grow into lutherie. You could even get the router jig plans and such from suppliers, especially if you're hankering to make many!

Bolt on is simple and strong especially if you get it lined up right. Luthiers Mercantile has kits, though you can buy the same stuff at a good hardware store. http://www.lmii.com/products/mostly-not ... ck-inserts
Chris Reed

Post by Chris Reed »

Bolt on works fine, and I can just about manipulate a hex key through the sound hole. But if you have a source of child labour ...
Stephen Neal Saqui

Post by Stephen Neal Saqui »

The simplest of all ways is the mortise and tenon.

Tops are flat. 3 fan braces are common. Keep everything light for the best sound.
Chris Reed

Post by Chris Reed »

I've made ukes with all these (except dowels). Spanish heel is probably my favourite because, for me, I get the neatest neck to body join and can build freehand rather than using a mould.

A flat top is easiest, though a slight dome is also common. I think an aggressively curved back gives better volume and projection, but that might just reflect my building style.

One nice thing about ukes is that there is no "right" way. If you want just to use a coach screw for the neck, no-one can tell you off!
Jim Ritter

Post by Jim Ritter »

I posted my dovetail jig for ukes in the 'tools and jigs' forum didn't realize this thread was going on here.
Jim

Return to “Ukuleles”