Pot selection

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Steve Sawyer

Pot selection

Post by Steve Sawyer »

Not sure if this should go in the electronics section, but this section won the coin-toss.

The top of my current build - a chambered flat-top Lester - is a scrunch less than 1/4"

Will pots with a 3/8" threaded length be sufficient allowing for the washer and retaining nut?

If necessary I can thin the top around the controls a bit using a forstner bit, but am hoping that is not necessary. I could also go with pots with a 3/4" threaded length and put a jam nut on the inside so the shafts don't stick out too far.

Whaddya think?
==Steve==
Freeman Keller

Re: Pot selection

Post by Freeman Keller »

I've always used long shaft pots on wood topped guitars with a backing nut and washer. I use the short shaft pots on guitars with plastic or metal control cavity covers. If the wood top is very thin I put a piece of reinforcing gauze on the inside and flood some thin CA. I think that is particularly important with jacks that go thru the top (like a 335).

I've never seen the wood around a pot broken but I have seen both jacks and 3 way toggle switches with broken wood. Unfortunately the normal Switchcraft switch used with Les Pauls has a very short threaded section, I found something for my last one that had a longer thread (I'd have to go look at invoices to figure out what it was)
Steve Sawyer

Post by Steve Sawyer »

Thanks, Freeman. I was thinking that I might do just that. I'll also holler if I have trouble with the switch.
==Steve==
David King

Post by David King »

A 3/8" long threaded collar is designed to work with a 1/4" thick top. A panel mount pot has about 1/4" to 5/16" of threads and will fit up to a 1/8" thick panel or pick guard. The long threaded collar pots are for thick, carved top guitars like Les Pauls etc and will handle 1/2" of wood.

The Switchcraft switches can be equipped with a taller collared nut that partially sits down into the hole to grab the threads on a thicker top. https://www.allparts.com/products/ep-49 ... e-switches
Steve Sawyer

Post by Steve Sawyer »

Thanks, David! I wasn't sure how much to allow for the the nut and washer.

I found a switch with a 3/8" collar, so that might do the trick, but thanks for that link just in case I end up needing it.
==Steve==

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”