Cumpiano & Natelson Steel String back and side blank dimensions?

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Kristoffer Ross

Cumpiano & Natelson Steel String back and side blank dimensions?

Post by Kristoffer Ross »

Good evening!
My sincere thanks for this forum, I've spent a lot of productive time browsing the digital library over the last month, and here I am with my first build question:
I am getting ready to order the sets for my first guitar. (yay!) I will be following the Cumpiano & Natelson book, & I plan to let it settle into the local low humidity (Northeastern U.S, in winter with wood heat) while I get my current project further along.*
I have my eye on a nice eastern black walnut set on Ebay, with slight amount of curl in the the back, but fairly straight-grained sides. However, in double checking the dimensions in Guitarmaking, I cannot find any reference to the size of the side blanks. Am I overlooking it, or is it not included because it will vary when making the template?
The set I'm looking has backs 8.1" x 22", and sides 5" x32", both unjointed. The book specifies the soundbox as 20"l x 8"w at the lower bout. Does this look like a safe bet, or am I cutting the back width or side length too close?
Many thanks,
~Kristoffer
*My current project in a teardrop, flat top mandolin based on the Musicmaker's plans.
Peter Wilcox

Re: Cumpiano & Natelson Steel String back and side blank dimensions?

Post by Peter Wilcox »

The book has the specs in the very back under "Bill of Materials", pp 382 and 383 in my edition. The back is 8" X 20" min, and sides 5" X 32" for steel string, which is what I presume you're making, so you should be OK.
Maybe I can't fix it, but I can fix it so no one can fix it
Kristoffer Ross

Thanks, Peter!
I don't know how I missed that...
Best,
~Kristoffer
Peter Wilcox

Post by Peter Wilcox »

Hi Kristoffer - It took me a long time to find that too - it's not very well placed or referenced. But the book was a huge help in getting me through my first build (though it was an Irish bouzouki, not a guitar), and I still refer to it often.

Good luck with your instrument - there's lots of help in the book, and on this site too.

In case you're unaware of it, Cumpiano has a website with updates and new information that is also quite helpful.

https://www.cumpiano.com/publications
Maybe I can't fix it, but I can fix it so no one can fix it
Kristoffer Ross

Hi, Peter,
My apologies for the much delayed response, and my thanks for your helpfulness. The amount of experienced and generous people on this forum is staggering.
I just received a nice set of walnut in the mail the other day, I'll be letting it acclimate in my house for a good while.
Regards,
~Kristoffer
Allyson Brown

Post by Allyson Brown »

Given the dimensions you've mentioned, it sounds like you have a good starting point for your guitar build. Just be sure to double-check your measurements and make any necessary adjustments based on your specific design and preferences. Best of luck with your guitar build, and feel free to reach out if you have any further questions along the way!

Return to “Flat-Top Acoustic Guitars and Bass Guitars”