Ziricote Fretboard - chipping issues with Fret install?

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Keith Walden

Ziricote Fretboard - chipping issues with Fret install?

Post by Keith Walden »

Ok, so Im building my dream Parlor guitar as you may know and am looking at an LMI Ziricote fretboard (pre-slotted). I would use that good LMI epoxy to glue it to the neck, but what about Fretting? Does Ziri chip out easier? is it a pain to work with?

ALSO: Will I need to thickness it down any (1/4" thick)
Freeman Keller

Re: Ziricote Fretboard - chipping issues with Fret install?

Post by Freeman Keller »

Keith, I have never done a Ziriicote f/b so I can't answer that question but I have never seen a properly slotted board chip on fretting. They do sometimes when frets are pulled, but as long as the slots are the proper size for the tang you should be fine.

Opinions vary on glues - the only time I see epoxy used is when you trying to actually glue the frets into the board, usually on a refret. I use a small amount of thin CA, some folks use HHG, a few dampen the slot with water. Mostly the idea is to lubricate the slot (I use the CA under the ends of frets on a bound board, I'm assuming yours is unbound but you may want to wick a drop in to close the slot).

Some people do like epoxy for gluing the f/b to the neck - apparently it makes it easier to remove. I've always used AR and have never had to remove a f/b from any guitar for any reason. I do very lightly glue the f/b extension to the top because that may have to come apart sometime.

You can order your board slotted to almost any scale (seque to your question on necks) and almost any radius. On my parlors I liked a fairly wide flat board even tho they are short scale - I use 20 inch radius but you might prefer something different. My boards are 1/4 in the center - the radius means they are a bit thinner at the edges.
Chuck Tweedy

Post by Chuck Tweedy »

Keith, ziricote is, in fact, quite chippy/brittle.
As Freeman said, the board will not chip from frets on the way in, but out. SO to prevent bad chip-out when the frets are worn and replaced - CHAMFER the slots generously. This is always done because most FB woods are brittle and tend to chip at the barbs when frets are pulled.

Will you have to thin the board? Maybe! Depends on the geometry of your guitar. Are you using reading guide - such as Cumpiano & Natelson??
(OMG - i spelled that right ... and I've not typed it in so long!)
I shudder to think of the mountain of internet posts it would take to cover the details set out in that book. Get the big picture from a book like that, and we can help when you screw up. :-)

FYI - my first guitar is a parlor guitar with a ziricote FB

im writing advise posts people... this is how it starts
Likes to drink Rosewood Juice
Keith Walden

Post by Keith Walden »

Cool - I can check out Kinkaids book at the library. And Youtube may fill in the gaps.

Return to “Flat-Top Acoustic Guitars and Bass Guitars”