Buffing around the bridge

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Phil Walsh

Buffing around the bridge

Post by Phil Walsh »

Something I've never gotten right is polishing the finish right up to the bridge. I've been gluing the bridge on pre-finish because I like to string up and test before committing to finishing, but then I can't get an even sanding and polish. Maybe I should go back to masking off the bridge location and then finish / buff. You would think after 9 guitars I should be able put the bridge in the right spot first try. :?

Anyway, how do you all do it?
Clay Schaeffer

Re: Buffing around the bridge

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

I mask off most of the bridge foot print but leave a little wiggle room all the way around, and then scrape the finish off those areas after the neck is in place and a (semi)final location is determined. I rout the saddle slot in the bridge after it is glued to the top (to deal with any minor slippage) and sometimes will use a wider saddle if the situation warrants.
Simon Magennis

Re: Buffing around the bridge

Post by Simon Magennis »

On my most recent classical (20 something ) I had strings on before I carved the neck! Getting a nice (french polish) finish in around the bridge is certainly one of my weaknesses as I too want to hear the guitar as soon as possible and also might want to sand a bit off the top if I am not happy Only soution I can see is build more and learn more about finishing or be less curious and finish first and the add the bridge later.

Return to “Flat-Top Acoustic Guitars and Bass Guitars”