Newbe Questions??? posting educate

Talk with the MIMForum staff! This is the section for discussing the workings of this forum. Your suggestions always welcome!
David Hutson

Newbe Questions??? posting educate

Post by David Hutson »

I have some questions relating to repair. The title of topics instruct me to post in the repairs section, I am not seeing a specified repairs section in any of the instrument topics. for example I have done some bridge repair on a flat top acoustic, I have re secured the bridge to the body but the body/top is also pulled up causing the bridge to set to high, I need ideas on pulling it back down and how to secure/brace it. Where do I post this specifically.
Bryan Bear

Re: Newbe Questions??? posting educate

Post by Bryan Bear »

You can post it in this section (linked below):

http://www.mimf.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=8
PMoMC

Take care of your feet and your feet will take care of you.
Stephen Neal Saqui

Re: Newbe Questions??? posting educate

Post by Stephen Neal Saqui »

Some fundamental things.
1. The top bulging is common, depending on the strength (or weakness) of the top, or loose or weak bracing, or bridge plate weakness or poor gluing of it.
But the top bulge behind the bridge is still a normal thing and may not need anything to correct it. It's the degree of the bulge that matters.

2.Incorrect Neck angle is another cause of high action. Sight down the neck from the head end and determine where the plane of the fingerboard points to on the bridge. Ignore the fingerboard above the 12th fret. The neck should point to the top of the wood of the bridge. If it points below that then the fault is with the neck angle, requiring a reset.

Of course there are various degrees of these two scenarios. Clear photos taken from the side level with the top and from the end of the neck level with the frets would give us a pretty good idea of how advise you how to evaluate and solve the problem.

Return to “The Soundhole”