FAQ about getting the sound right

Talk with the MIMForum staff! This is the section for discussing the workings of this forum. Your suggestions always welcome!
Dennis Weaver

FAQ about getting the sound right

Post by Dennis Weaver »

Suggestion-
FAQs maybe by members on basics of SOUND like-

My guitar isn't as loud as I want. What should I do?
It is real clear but lacks bass. What should I do?
gets louder as you go higher up the neck?

What will wider sides do, different strings, finishes, etc?

Short direct remedy ideas.
I don't want to hear people go on and on (and on and on and on) like some big time well known luthiers do. The sine wave of the cross diagonally high amplitude wave of the graduated top...

Well maybe someone can take a short list and do possible remedies.

For instance I thought on my latest guitar it is very very clear (spruce and many braces) but lacked volume and bass. I cut a big side port in it and I think both of those were improved but I still would like more bass in the tone and more volume. I THINK it will open up and later have more bass. Better a little tight at first.
Barry Daniels

Re: FAQ about getting the sound right

Post by Barry Daniels »

Dennis, guitar acoustics is not as simple as you appear to think. There has been much research in this field and it can get quite complicated. Plus, everything is connected and when you change one variable the results may be different on different guitars. Short direct remedies don't really exist except for a few problems like intonation or wolf notes.
MIMF Staff
Dennis Weaver

Post by Dennis Weaver »

I know. There are variables. Combinations that contribute.
John LaTorre

Post by John LaTorre »

Dennis Weaver wrote: For instance I thought on my latest guitar it is very very clear (spruce and many braces) but lacked volume and bass. I cut a big side port in it and I think both of those were improved but I still would like more bass in the tone and more volume. I THINK it will open up and later have more bass. Better a little tight at first.
I have only limited experience with sound ports, having made only one guitar and one mandolin with them, but my impression is that it makes a difference only to the player, not the audience. In other words, you might get more of the trebles, but the people in front of the guitar won't.

To increase loudness, you might want to shave down the braces (leave them as high as they were before, but take the material off the sides). That might help.
John LaTorre
Sacramento CA
Dennis Weaver

Post by Dennis Weaver »

Thanks.

Return to “The Soundhole”