New phone won't keep me logged in.

Talk with the MIMForum staff! This is the section for discussing the workings of this forum. Your suggestions always welcome!
Karl Wicklund

New phone won't keep me logged in.

Post by Karl Wicklund »

I just got a Nokia Lumia 822. This is a Windows phone. Every so often, I discover I'm no longer logged in. I can look at maybe a half dozen posts, or maybe three or four minutes before I'm no longer recognized. I can discern no specific pattern to this - sometimes I can mark topics read, or return to the index without being logged off, sometimes not. Sometimes I hit the back button, and I'm logged out. The forum worked fine on my Palm Pre, so I suspect something is up with the new device. Any ideas? Thanks!
Kaptain Karl
Charlie Schultz
Site Admin

Re: New phone won't keep me logged in.

Post by Charlie Schultz »

I'd guess something under the phone's security/privacy/network settings is doing it but unfortunately I don't know anyone else with a Windows phone. Another thought- does it have an option for cookies?
Karl Wicklund

Post by Karl Wicklund »

I've checked cookies and security and all sorts of things, still no luck. On my laptop I can come back after a week, and I'm still logged in. Still looking for ideas. The provider is of no help. I've done several reaches of user forums with no results. Anyone? This isn't a deal-breaker, but it's sure annoying to log back in all the time.
Kaptain Karl
Bob Francis

Post by Bob Francis »

Is it only here pr any site?
I have had windows phones in the past and they were okay but occasionally the carrier seemed to mess with timing.
Karl Wicklund

Post by Karl Wicklund »

Just here. (Though I don't visit tons of other forums.) Sometimes I can check in on consecutive days no problem. Sometimes it bumps me after looking at two posts...
Kaptain Karl
AL Lombardo

Post by AL Lombardo »

I have that same problem on the iPhone and iPad. I don't believe it's the phone. Even my computer on a forum will remain logged in for months and months then one day...poof, gotta log in again
Karl Wicklund

Post by Karl Wicklund »

Thanks for your thoughts, Al. Most forums, webmail and other online services I use make me log in every so often, but usually this is a matter of weeks. With my old phone I could stay logged on normally. I've had this new phone for about nine months, and I still have this problem. I can still find no definite pattern - the time is usually 5-10 minutes, sometimes up to 15. Sometimes I can read one post, sometimes four or five. And only here on MIMF. I guess in the grand scheme of things it's not a big deal, but it's still kind of annoying.
Kaptain Karl
Karl Wicklund

Post by Karl Wicklund »

Don't know who's interested in this, but in case someone is...

Our Nokia Lumias but the dust. We replaced them with iPhones, and I've remained logged in ever since. Don't know the why or wherefore, but there it is.
Kaptain Karl
David King

Post by David King »

Whether you stay logged in or not is a function of the cookie that the phpBB3 puts in the browser register. There is also a timestamp on the cookie to make it expire after a certain period. If the phone's time is off it might interfere but more than likely your cookies are getting corrupted so I'd start by going into the list of cookies and deleting anything with "mimf" on it. You may find dozens of duplicates.
Karl Wicklund

Post by Karl Wicklund »

I tried all that on my old phone. Sometimes I'd stay logged in for an hour, sometimes two minutes. And like I mentioned in the original post, somehow it was just MIMF; other forums seemed fine. Phone provider couldn't figure it out either.

No problems now that we switched phones, though.
Kaptain Karl

Return to “The Soundhole”