Wouldn't it be nice to be able hear finished instruments?

Talk with the MIMForum staff! This is the section for discussing the workings of this forum. Your suggestions always welcome!
Ciaran Cosgrave

Wouldn't it be nice to be able hear finished instruments?

Post by Ciaran Cosgrave »

I'm only on this forum a few days and I may be wrong, but people seem to only post up pictures of their creations and never links to recordings of them being played. This seems strange and unfortunate given the fact it's musical instruments we are dealing with. Perhaps people could be encouraged to make a short recording of their finished instruments and post up links.
Charlie Schultz
Site Admin

Re: Wouldn't it be nice to be able hear finished instruments?

Post by Charlie Schultz »

We do allow short audio clips, see instructions for posting them here: http://www.mimf.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php ... 656#p15026. Some people have done that, but you're right, it's mostly photos. Plus of course there are potential copyright issues with posting whole songs that are not in the public domain.
Bryan Bear

Post by Bryan Bear »

I posted an instrument in "other stringed instruments" a while back and was able to put in a link to some youtube videos of it being played. Now that I think about it, I never when back to check to see if they posted properly or can be accessed through the forum, but I assume so. Linking to you tube should make any copyright issues youtube's problem (or not, I'm not sure how all that works). I didn't realize that the new format allowed uploading clips. Either way, I think it will take a culture change. People are so used to not having a convenient way to post sound clips that we all got used to not having them. Now we forget to add them.
PMoMC

Take care of your feet and your feet will take care of you.
Mario Proulx

Post by Mario Proulx »

Posting a link to a youtube video is the way to go; keeps the bandwidth off the forum's server(I think?), and really, a sound clip is less than useless. Some joker could record a huge-sounding pre war dread using large diaphragm mics into a full-on studio rig and post a clip of it saying "here's a clip I just took using my phone's voice recorder, of a new parlor guitar I just strung up; what do you think?". And everyone would be in awe of the little parlor guitar's tone...

Gimme a video...
Ciaran Cosgrave

Post by Ciaran Cosgrave »

Mario Proulx wrote:Posting a link to a youtube video is the way to go; keeps the bandwidth off the forum's server(I think?), and really, a sound clip is less than useless. Some joker could record a huge-sounding pre war dread using large diaphragm mics into a full-on studio rig and post a clip of it saying "here's a clip I just took using my phone's voice recorder, of a new parlor guitar I just strung up; what do you think?". And everyone would be in awe of the little parlor guitar's tone...

Gimme a video...
Some of us are more trusting! :D I was thinking that the opposite would be more likely. Lovely new creations badly recorded.
G.S. Monroe

Post by G.S. Monroe »

I would love to see such videos, as well as post a few of my own for "official" critique.
Sadly much of the feedback and criticism on the more public websites (YouTube) are not very helpful at times when someone is seeking to refine their luthiery techniques. Audio files are nice but I agree that a link to a video has much greater potential. A "Showcase" forum on the board would be a nice addition.
Martin Taylor

Post by Martin Taylor »

I use soundcloud to store any recordings I do. I think hearing the guitars is a great idea. I also like to find out about pickups that are suitable for acoustics etc. I am currently using a variety of LR Baggs pickups and they seem to be doing a great job.

You can hear one of my latest builds here. https://soundcloud.com/martintaylor/closer-to-thee.

This is a small body with Tasmanian Blackwood back and sides, QLD Bunya top, QLD Maple neck and MUlga Fretboard and Bridge.

If this post should be somewhere else, Admins please move it, thanks, Martin
Martin Taylor
http://martintaylorguitars.com.au
(Yes, it is my real name!)

Return to “The Soundhole”