Links

Talk with the MIMForum staff! This is the section for discussing the workings of this forum. Your suggestions always welcome!
Bill Snyder

Links

Post by Bill Snyder »

When I click on a link in a discussion instead of opening a new tab or window I am taken out of the MIMF site and to the link. Is there some way I can change the way links are handled so that a new tab is opened? I know I can right click on the link and choose to open the link in a new tab or window but this is the only forum I visit where I need to do that and I frequently forget to. It would not be an issue at all except after looking at the link I click close so I have to re-open the MIMF.
This is not an issue with the settings in my browser because like I mentioned the MIMF is the only forum I visit that this happens.
Forgive me if this has come up or I missed an option for this in the User Control Panel.
Charlie Schultz
Site Admin

Re: Links

Post by Charlie Schultz »

Hi Bill-
Unfortunately there is no UCP (user control panel) setting for this. As I understand it, we'd have to add something like "target="_blank"" to the links to force the link to automatically open in a new tab.

Your browser may have a setting to automatically open all links in new tabs.

And it looks like there is also a phpBB custom mod that we could install to make all *external* links open a new tab, but keep internal links on the same tab. I don't know if everyone would prefer that or not though.
Simon Magennis

Post by Simon Magennis »

Odd. I have never noticed this. I am guessing you are a desktop/mouse user rather than portable/trackpad user. With a trackpad I am so used to automatically using alt click for links that I didn't realise that other forums automatically opened new tabs. I must give it a try sometime. :D
Bill Snyder

Post by Bill Snyder »

Simon, you are correct about me being a desktop user. Even on the occasions I borrow my wife's or son's laptop the first thing I do is plug a mouse into it.
Thanks Charlie. It is no biggie, just thought if there was a setting to change on my end I would do it.

Return to “The Soundhole”