Thickness Sanding?

Registered members only may use this section for placing free, non-commercial ads for tangible goods.
Forum rules
Registered members only may use this section for placing free, non-commercial ads for tangible goods. What do we mean by "non-commercial?" If you're an instrument builder you cannot place a free ad here to sell or trade your instruments. If you're a dealer you cannot place an ad here to sell or trade whatever you deal in. Use this section to look for items you want as well - begin the title of your discussion with the shorthand WTB (for Want To Buy), WTT (for Want To Trade), FS (for For Sale), or FREE if you have a tangible item to give away.

Please do not use the discussion here to engage in negotiations with a seller/buyer, nor ask the other party to contact you - you should contact that person directly. Their contact info is available by clicking on their name, "profile", "PM" or "e-mail" icons in the message.

You may NOT solicit to buy or sell services, for people to give you goods or services for free, to sell more than two of the same item, or to sell more than a couple of related items!!

MIMForum etiquette is to post the asking price for the item you are selling; to e-mail the buyer/seller instead of posting a message here, which they may not see, asking them to contact you; and to respond to all e-mail inquiries. Please do not leave your potential buyer/seller hanging.

Members may also use this section to solicit other members to join them in a bulk purchase to meet a minimum order, as long as the organizer is not profiting from the transaction, and the item being purchased in bulk is not sold in smaller quantities by any of our advertisers, or the bulk purchase being organized is a purchase from an advertiser. Please remember that any such transaction is strictly between the parties involved and the MIMForum cannot be responsible for any unfavorable outcome.

Sell your item? Earn a bundle? If you would like to send a small percentage of the sum to help support the MIMForum and keep it online, we won't object! You can use our subscription form and send any amount you wish. Thanks!

Your ad should be limited to 50 words and may contain non-commercial attachments. Links to graphics (that do not display as part of your ad) are OK as long as they are not at your commercial website. Please ask the sysop to delete your ad if the item sells or you find what you want, or post a message saying "Sold" (or whatever). Otherwise the shelf-life of an ad placed here will be 60 days. If you are interested in purchasing a commercial ad, please see our ad rates page. Please do not "bump" your ad, doing so will result in its immediate removal. Thanks.
Do not post your e-mail address, home address, or phone number!!
Keith Walden

Thickness Sanding?

Post by Keith Walden »

Ok, Im trying to build a Parlor size Guitar and may need thickness sanding for the body woods. Anyone provide this? Maybe I can get it local but if not Im looking for a backup. Please PM me with prices. Koa body and Adi top.
David King

Re: Thickness Sanding?

Post by David King »

Keith, it would undoubtedly help to provide clues as to your geographic location.
Keith Walden

Post by Keith Walden »

Im in Colorado, but I will mail it out if I have to. Not much else I can do. thanks
Bob Gramann

Post by Bob Gramann »

LMI will joint and sand wood you purchase from them. Alternatively, you could read the chapter in Cumpiano and Natelson on plate thicknessing and do it with a couple of handplanes (toothed and untoothed).
Randy Roberts

Post by Randy Roberts »

call a few cabinet shops in your area. They may well be willing to sand them down for you.

You should probably take a sled ( a board as wide as your top and back or as long as your side, usually plywood, for your pieces to go through on top of) as the sanders they would run your boards through might not be able to go as thin as your wanting accurately without something underneath to make the whole thing a little thicker.
David King

Post by David King »

Be aware that you'll want a finer grit than a cabinet shop might run for the last few passes or you'll be spending days hand scraping the scratches out. A belt abrasive planer aka Timesaver is what you want especially if there's a substantial amount of material to remove as it will do a better job getting your pieces to a consistent thickness. Drum sanders are fine if you're just taking off a 1/2mm or less. Koa has a tendency to scorch if the belt/paper is dull or they try to take off too much in a single pass. You just need to find the person who knows their equipment well enough and has experience with your particular woods. I've watched the place in town that charges $120/hour put a total numbskull kid on a job who then ruins hundreds of dollars worth of wood in instants with no clue as to the harm he's doing.
Olivier Vandebroucke

Post by Olivier Vandebroucke »

Yeah, Koa is quite sensitive, I've had this issue when working on a small jewelry box made of that for my wife...But if you (or the workshop) is using a new sheet of sandpaper, it won't be an issue: you don't seem to want to remove much, so it won't be enough to dull the paper.

Return to “Classified Ads”