Differences in Lacquer?

TEST ON SCRAP FIRST! If your question is about repair work, either regluing or refinishing, please post it in our Repair Section.
Michael Baresi

Differences in Lacquer?

Post by Michael Baresi »

Whats the difference between nitrocellulose lacquer and the spray cans of lacquer they sell at the hardware?
Barry Daniels

Re: Differences in Lacquer?

Post by Barry Daniels »

Generally speaking (which is all we can do without knowing specific brands) spray cans usually have a lot of plasticizers in it so the lacquer will not usually get as hard or scratch resistant. On my last two guitars I used Cardinal lacquer from LMII and it is hands down the best lacquer I have ever used. Much better than the old standby, McFaddens.
MIMF Staff
Brian Evans

Post by Brian Evans »

My hardware store sells something called Acrylic Lacquer, and I tried it. sprayed great, sanded and polished great, start to chip and fall off after a year, went kind of soft. When weather gets warm enough to do finishing this year I plan to refinish two guitars.
Gordon Bellerose

Post by Gordon Bellerose »

Never having worked with Nitro-C, I cannot speak to it.
Here in Canada, it is very difficult to get Nitro-C, so I have always used water based lacquer.
I have had very good luck with it.

The few times I have used a spray can, has been on small repairs. I really don't care for it for the reasons stated in the above posts.
I need your help. I can't possibly make all the mistakes myself!
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

Mohawk sells nitro in a spray can. You can get it in different sheens, gloss to dead flat. For touch up work on site it is handy to have.

http://www.amazon.com/Mohawk-Finishers- ... S35HJYXERH

Mohawk also sells CAB lacquer in spray cans if you want a non yellowing softer film. For a brief primer on types of lacquer:
www.finewoodworking.com/2005/09/13/all-about-lacquers
Michael Baresi

Post by Michael Baresi »

Good tip Clay. Thanks
Thats a good price too.

Return to “Glues and Finishes”