Water Based Opaque Colors

TEST ON SCRAP FIRST! If your question is about repair work, either regluing or refinishing, please post it in our Repair Section.
Andrew McSpadden

Water Based Opaque Colors

Post by Andrew McSpadden »

I am using General Finishes Enduro Var and learned it does not work well with water based pigments. Someone at GF said that the Clear Poly would play well with pigments. Anybody have any advise?

What are you recommendations for Pigment brands that work well with water based finishes? Looking specifically for Pelham Blue but need a brand(s) that have good color variety.

Thanks!
Gordon Bellerose

Re: Water Based Opaque Colors

Post by Gordon Bellerose »

I have used water based finishes only. I do not have any experience with solvent based finishes.
I use Stewmac's Colortone pigments with good results. It is a matter of mixing the right colors to get what you want.

I have used Target EM-6000, and Britetone water based lacquers.
I have not used GF Endurovar, so I can't speak to that.
I need your help. I can't possibly make all the mistakes myself!
David King

Re: Water Based Opaque Colors

Post by David King »

For an opaque color (other than white and black which are potentially available from GF) you may as well find a compatible paint as an undercoat rather than trying to add pigment to the varnish. Pigments are available as a dry powder and can be picked up at art stores and mixed into any binder. They shouldn't care too much what that binder's composition is. If you have a Dick Blick store nearby that might be handy. If you want something very specific then Kramer is your go to source: https://www.kremer-pigmente.com/de (click on the British flag for an english version of the site). I think they ship out of NYC for domestic orders.

Return to “Glues and Finishes”