Tru-oil finishing

TEST ON SCRAP FIRST! If your question is about repair work, either regluing or refinishing, please post it in our Repair Section.
Barry Daniels

Re: Tru-oil finishing

Post by Barry Daniels »

They are Chicago Pneumatic. Available from Amazon and various tool importers. I am not sure how much cfm they use but it is not that much. My 2 horse compressor has no problem keeping up with them.

These mini buffers are very compatible with a guitar sized project. And I am very impressed with the new generation of automotive polishing products. They have a big industry share and have gone through a lot of development to come up with some very effective compounds. The Meguiar's 105 is an amazing compound. It goes from a very aggressive and coarse compound at first, but it can finish off to a nice gloss at the end. And microfiber pads and cloths are a true revelation to this old finishing guy.

I gave up on Menzerna and my large buffing wheels and am not looking back.
MIMF Staff
Eric Knapp

Post by Eric Knapp »

Barry Daniels wrote:They are Chicago Pneumatic. Available from Amazon and various tool importers. I am not sure how much cfm they use but it is not that much. My 2 horse compressor has no problem keeping up with them.
Thanks, they are on my list now. One tool at a time.

-Eric
Jason Rodgers

Post by Jason Rodgers »

I've considered some of the units from Harbor Freight. Under $40 each for both the orbital sander and the rotary polisher. I think these are some of the things that are more likely to work the first time. I remember an AL article with Mike Doolin talking about buffing out waterborne finishes with these. And if they work for a while, and then die, you go buy another.
-Ruining perfectly good wood, one day at a time.
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

By the way, I paid about $60 each for my Chicago Pneumatic buffers and they seem to be good quality. They have given me 3 years of service so far.
MIMF Staff
Steve Sawyer

Post by Steve Sawyer »

Are there any similar buffers that are electric? I really don't have space for more than the compressor I have now which I'm sure doesn't have enough air-flow to run that kind of tool (4.6 Gallon twin tank, 1.0 HP, 3.10 cfm @ 40 psi - 2.20 cfm @ 90 psi). I've seen a cordless 12-volt from Milwaukee, but I don't really need something cordless...
==Steve==
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

The preferred buffers in the automotive industry are electric, but they are fairly large and heavy duty. A few of them will take the smaller 3" diameter pads. I have no direct experience with them.

I found one that might fit your needs here:
https://www.amazon.com/Griots-Garage-10 ... r+polisher

Here is another. Flex has a lot of good reviews for their other machines and this one may be good too, but a bit pricey.
https://www.amazon.com/80-Lightweight-P ... r+polisher
MIMF Staff
Steve Sawyer

Post by Steve Sawyer »

Thanks, Barry - that Griots Garage unit looks like it might be a good option. Seems from the reviews that they did some re-design to address some deficiencies and it seems to be well received. Nice size for guitar work...
==Steve==
Jason Rodgers

Post by Jason Rodgers »

Looks like some of those air polishers need about 4cfm at 90psi. I think you'd need more than a pancake compressor for continuous operation.

I read through the reviews on that Griot's 3", and one of the most common critiques is that the low speeds don't have much rotation, but higher speeds are ok. For auto use that might be an issue, but fine for guitars. It would be nice to borrow one to try out first.
-Ruining perfectly good wood, one day at a time.
Gerard Bernhardt

Post by Gerard Bernhardt »

Barry Daniels wrote:If you need a good general purpose buffing compound to bridge the wide gap between fine sanding and the two finishing products mentioned, I would recommend Meguiar's Ultra-Cut Compound #105. It is an extra heavy cut compound that can take a surface sanded to 1200 grit up to a high gloss.
I would second the use of Meguiar's Ultra-Cut Compound #105. I'm successfully using it for gloss for so many years and it has never let me down.
Steve Sawyer

Post by Steve Sawyer »

I did end up getting that Griot's 3" polisher. Using Meguiars 105 and Swirl Remover on both nitro and WB lacquer (GF High Performance) I've gotten real good results. Nice little machine.
==Steve==
Matthew Ramirez

Post by Matthew Ramirez »

Steve Sawyer wrote:I did end up getting that Griot's 3" polisher. Using Meguiars 105 and Swirl Remover on both nitro and WB lacquer (GF High Performance) I've gotten real good results. Nice little machine.
I too own a Griot's 3" polisher. Have been using it for a long time. Gives real cool results.

Return to “Glues and Finishes”