New thickness gauges in perspective

Questions about tools and jigs you want to buy/build/modify.
Alain Bieber

New thickness gauges in perspective

Post by Alain Bieber »

Those of you who followed this forum roughly one year ago might recall a thread where I proposed a discussion of potential ideas that could lead to thickness gauges for assembled instruments. The general idea was that the long reign of the Hacklinger solution might someday be replaced by fresher and better ideas, kind of cheaper too.
In this thread, I even made public an attempt of mine to propose an inexpensive DIY solution based on the replacement of the weak spring of the Hacklinger by a third magnet devoted to the "extraction function", so to speak, of the weak spring.
We also spent some time to engage short discusions on the pros and cons of several techniques, well known in the industrial sector but often too expensive to be considered by amateurs or even craftsmen.
I am glad to see that several initiatives have been developping during those last months. I will quote the three I am aware of.
1/ The development of my previous solution after a kind of Trans.Atlantic cooperation between Mike Doolin and myself, Tim Olsen playing an important role in the co-ordination and publication of the result, a typical DIY solution. PLease have a look at Mike Doolin's paper in the last AL number for details.
2/ A solution with some electronics involved, developped by someone from the US, Liam Snyman, already discussed in some other forums. Called "magic probe". Apparently available from him for around 295 $, hence a bit in progress compared with the old Hacklinger (more than 400), if one follows what is said of course, which looks fine .. alas not very explicit on the principles. Simple electro magnetism, Hall effect, other, ??
3/ Another solution, from Australia this time, called magnetic caliper, no detail on the web I am afraid, but apparently with the same kind of expected uses than the preceeding ones.

I am quite pleased to see all this happen, and of course my curiosity is excited about such ideas (that I will not grasp at all without your help). Their pros and cons and, more generallly your reactions ...all is of interest to me.
Needless to say, I insist on that point, I am the last man on earth to think industrially about this. So I believe no industrial property consideration should lead us to keep silence on details.
I still think the field is wide open to several dozens of other ideas <g>.
Liam Snyman

Re: New thickness gauges in perspective

Post by Liam Snyman »

Hi Alain
This Liam referred to in your post. If I can offer up any information I would be glad to do so (as far as it doesn't compromise any intellectual property).
The Principle of operation of MAG-ic Probe is of course using permanent magnets and hall-effect sensors. Sounds simple but the problem is that you have to attract the ball and anything you use to attract is going to influence the sensor.
I have managed to do it with a 1/1000th inch resolution up to 15mm.
I believe Mike Doolin has one on the way to test. I like your article, a lot of ingenuity.
I think you are correct that there are probably many ideas still to come on ways of doing this, as regards electronically there are more ways than 1 to skin the cat but balancing cost-effectiveness with a presentable product is always an issue.
let me know if you need any information
Thanks
Liam
Greg Robinson

Post by Greg Robinson »

Hi Liam (Isnyman)
Please note that we require the use of real full names (first and last) on this forum, and do not accept aliases or "handles". Please let us know your full name so that we can update your registration.

Thanks.
MIMForum staff member - Melbourne, Australia
Liam Snyman

Post by Liam Snyman »

Ok. It is Liam Snyman
Greg Robinson

Post by Greg Robinson »

Thanks Liam, your account has been updated.
MIMForum staff member - Melbourne, Australia
Alain Bieber

Post by Alain Bieber »

Hello Liam,
Your achievement is quite important. You cut the price of the former Hall effect sensors very much (if I compare with the Olympus ones for instance). So the old Hacklinger monopoly might be changed.. in an healthier standard competitive status. Now we wil see how things develop. Pretty sure other ideas will come out.
Very sincere congrats. I know Mike (Doolin) shares this view.
I might still take the time to develop another of my ideas.. in the vein of the last one but simpler. Mike did a very nice work completing my original idea to make the thing more practical, and the price tag remains very low.
I will also check if I can "borrow" your little ball as inner component of the simply magnetic gadget. BTW, some very small magnets have the shape of a ball... but I doubt they rotate well <g>
Alain Bieber

Post by Alain Bieber »

Liam Snyman's electronic caliper (Mag-ic probe) is reviewed, positively I believe if I follow the presentation made by Tim Olsen on the GAL web site, by Mike Doolin in the last American Lutherie magazine. Great achievement if compared with other existing commercial solutions (for everybody willing to pay around 300 $ for it). Congrats to Liam.
I do not give up entirely, still hoping a very cheap.. and good enough simple magnetic way to do that job.... for poor amateurs only of course.<g>.
Simon Magennis

Post by Simon Magennis »

Alain Bieber wrote:Those of you who followed this forum roughly one year ago might recall a thread where I proposed a discussion of potential ideas that could lead to thickness gauges for assembled instruments. The general idea was that the long reign of the Hacklinger solution might someday be replaced by fresher and better ideas, kind of cheaper too…...

Is the older thread still findable in any way? I tried a search but did not locate it. :-(
Charlie Schultz
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Schultz »

Perhaps this is it: http://www.mimf.com/library/A_prototype ... -2011.html

It was before we switched the forum software so you would have to use the library search.
Simon Magennis

Post by Simon Magennis »

Thanks Charlie. Yes. That's the one.

Return to “Tools and Jigs”