Stop-Loss bags

Questions about tools and jigs you want to buy/build/modify.
Steve Sawyer

Stop-Loss bags

Post by Steve Sawyer »

I tried using Bloxygen to keep finish fresh, but waterborne finishes will cause metal cans to rust eventually making a real mess, and Bloxygen is expensive as hell, and you don't get much yield from each can.

I've been using these StopLoss bags for a few months now. I can attest that these babies are the bees knees. You can get a silicone funnel that fits tightly over the top of a standard quart-sized paint can and attaches snugly to the top of the Stop-Loss bag. Once you turn the quart can upside down, you *boink* a hole into the bottom with an awl, and it flows right into the bag - no muss, no fuss. The funnel doesn't fit on the top of the quart cans that they ship Brite Tone in, but it's still easy to hold the funnel with one hand and pour with the other. You can either clean the funnel or just let the finish dry and peel it out when cured.

These are priced very reasonably. Our woodworking club made a huge group buy on these, so we got the shipping down to almost nothing. Most of us got extra caps JIC and a funnel.

Highly recommended.
Stop Loss.JPG
==Steve==
Bob Hammond

Re: Stop-Loss bags

Post by Bob Hammond »

they look ;ike a new use for blood bag technology
Steve Sawyer

Post by Steve Sawyer »

Bob Hammond wrote:they look ;ike a new use for blood bag technology
:lol: The do, don't they?
==Steve==
David King

Post by David King »

What sizes do they come in? Do they hold up at all in lacquer thinner or acetone?
If these are transfusion or electrolytes bags I bet there are thousands of them around for free somewhere when expired dates causes them to be discarded unused.
Steve Sawyer

Post by Steve Sawyer »

Not suitable for lacquer, David. Oil, water and alcohol-based finishes only, and they only come in quart sizes. I wouldn't doubt that IV bags of some kind could be used provided they had a removable and replaceable cap, and have a flat bottom so they could be stored on a shelf once filled. However, they're less than $3 each in quantities of eight, and they don't take up hardly any space until filled, so I'm not sure it'd be worthwhile trying to re-purpose an IV bag.

https://www.stoplossbags.com/shop
==Steve==
Alan Carruth

Post by Alan Carruth »

I've been marinating marbles in my varnish for years, and they do the job. Once you get a couple of cans full of marbles you empty the varnish into a clean can, and wash off the marbles with some thinner for re-use. So long as there's only a little air in the can the finish won't harden up to speak of.
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

We used to use accordion (a.k.a. concertina) bottles for photographic chemistry. The bottles are still available, but not as cheap as bags.
Allyson Brown

Post by Allyson Brown »

Clay Schaeffer wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:44 pm We used to use accordion (a.k.a. concertina) bottles for photographic chemistry. The bottles are still available, but not as cheap as bags.
I think they are distinct instrument.

Return to “Tools and Jigs”