Handy pointed tool

Questions about tools and jigs you want to buy/build/modify.
Steve Sawyer

Handy pointed tool

Post by Steve Sawyer »

In the pic below, you will see examples of a double-point knitting needle. Somehow one of these ended up in my shop a couple of years ago. I had no idea what it was, but it seemed to be some kind of sewing thingumbob, and had to take it to a fabric store and ask "what the hell is this?"

Anyway, this has turned out to be incredibly useful for those times when I needed to poke, pry, nudge or otherwise do something that would normally have me reaching for an awl but for which an awl is inappropriate because the sharp point will damage whatever I'm poking/prodding/prying/nudging. Think gaskets, o-rings, a guitar string, a bit of veneer etc. It's also good for working under things then rolling to stretch or separate, such as getting a ring of bicycle tubing over a vacuum connection or peeling a label or glued-on outline from a template. As you can see from the second picture the ends of these are nicely rounded, so much safer to use around soft or delicate, easily-damaged materials. They're made of aluminum and very light weight, so they are a bit limited in their prying ability, but incredibly handy nonetheless.

A pack of four cost me $5.
DoublePoint1.JPG
DoublePoint2.JPG
==Steve==
Peter Wilcox

Re: Handy pointed tool

Post by Peter Wilcox »

Crochet hooks are useful too, for reaching into enclosed electronics cavities and wire runs to fish out wires, and for reaching into a cervical os to retrieve lost IUD strings. :D
Maybe I can't fix it, but I can fix it so no one can fix it
Dan Smith

Post by Dan Smith »

Peter Wilcox wrote:Crochet hooks are useful too, for reaching into enclosed electronics cavities and wire runs to fish out wires, and for reaching into a cervical os to retrieve lost IUD strings. :D
That made my doodle hurt thinking about it.
Ever-body was kung fu fight-in,
Them kids was fast as light-nin.
Steve Sawyer

Post by Steve Sawyer »

Peter Wilcox wrote:Crochet hooks are useful too, for reaching into enclosed electronics cavities and wire runs to fish out wires, and for reaching into a cervical os to retrieve lost IUD strings. :D
Thanks, Peter - I read that just as I was taking a swig of my glass of coke! Now I gotta wipe up my keyboard, desktop, laptop screen... :lol:
==Steve==
Bryan Bear

Post by Bryan Bear »

I believe you want croTchet hooks for that application. . . <G>
PMoMC

Take care of your feet and your feet will take care of you.
Bob Hammond

Post by Bob Hammond »

I stopped using knitting needles when I poked one in the right ear, and then the point emerged from the left ear. My dignity was compromised.
Bryan Bear

Post by Bryan Bear »

Does that mean you now have a knit-wit?
PMoMC

Take care of your feet and your feet will take care of you.
Peter Wilcox

Post by Peter Wilcox »

Bryan Bear wrote:I believe you want croTchet hooks for that application. . . <G>
Good one Bryan! Unless it's one of the older ones: https://www.wired.com/2011/07/ff_iud/

I took out a Dalkon Shield once - it was a painful, bloody pull - the damn thing looks like a trilobite. (Sorry Steve - don't mean to derail the thread.)
Steve Sawyer

Post by Steve Sawyer »

Peter Wilcox wrote:(Sorry Steve - don't mean to derail the thread.)
S'okay Peter. Gotta say this one of the more unusual thread hijacks I've seen!! :lol:
==Steve==
Randolph Rhett

Post by Randolph Rhett »

I really hope you are a retired doctor or something, and not some kind of weird medical fetishist. :shock:
Peter Wilcox

Post by Peter Wilcox »

Yes, I am a retired physician, but I still have a license to kill. :lol:

Return to “Tools and Jigs”