Storage of in progress projects

Questions about tools and jigs you want to buy/build/modify.
Bryan Bear

Storage of in progress projects

Post by Bryan Bear »

I have not been able to accomplish much in the way of instrument making the last couple of years for various reasons. Finding workshop time for myself has been difficult; other home projects or projects for the elementary school keep bumping my stuff back. When I do get time to work on my projects, I find that what I want to work on has been pushed into “out of the way” areas for protection so I have to go looking for the parts I was working on. I need to get organized in such a way that I can pull something out, work on it and have a place to put it all back (in one place).

I have been thinking about large stackable trays. Something I can put a body and neck (or bent sides plates and bracewood. . .) on and put it all away together. Then when the time comes pull out the tray and all the parts and blanks are there. I have a cabinet that I can store these trays in so they will be protected from damage when I am doing a home improvement project. It would accommodate 4 trays 18” x 28” x 6’ (deep). If it comes to it, I will build some trays but I’d rather not take the time to do that if I can buy/find something suitable. I’d like to stay as close to those dimensions as possible (not too much smaller) since that would allow plenty of room for a body and detached neck and plenty of space for the other little bits and bobs.

I thought the trays that bakeries bring bread and buns on were the perfect solution but they are just a bit too wide to fit in my cabinet.

So my questions are:
1) Anyone have any ideas on a source for something workable? Plastic, wood, or even heavy cardboard would work since these won’t see much abuse?
2) What are other solutions to the project storage goal that you folks may have come up with?
PMoMC

Take care of your feet and your feet will take care of you.
Bob Francis

Re: Storage of in progress projects

Post by Bob Francis »

plastic bread trays
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

Go to a big box store and get some large plastic storage containers with snap on lids to keep dust off your parts. They stack and come in all sizes. Rubbermaid is a good brand.

https://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-Rough ... containers
MIMF Staff
Randy Roberts

Post by Randy Roberts »

I found large ziplock bags, similar to freezer bags, but much larger worked really well for me. I could store a full body and neck
(detached), and just hung them on a nail on the garage wall. They are made for storing clothes, and I got mine at the grocery store but haven't seen them there in quite a while. I would assume they are available at Target type stores, and were made by Zip-Loc so I'd think you can find them easily.

They had the added benefit of sealing out humidity. I saved up a bunch of Silica gel desiccant bags that come with test kits at work and throw a handful in the bag with the parts. Keeps the guitar stuff clean dry and up out of the way of the occasional fits of rage at the current house project I'm working on.

Another thing I've found useful is this:

http://www.mimf.com/library/Randy_Rober ... -2009.html
Dave Weir

Post by Dave Weir »

Hefty 40-Qt Hi-Rise Clear Latch Box, Teal Sachet Lid and Handles:
"Store extra stuff" lid space fits taller items
2 Click Secure latches to keep lid in place
Double rim for added strength
Dimensions: 23.98"L x 16.81"W x 7.8"H

Walmart has a bunch of different "underbed storage containers".

https://www.walmart.com/ip/IRIS-50-Quar ... Qyp5uJLI2Y
Bob Francis

Post by Bob Francis »

Dave Weir wrote:Hefty 40-Qt Hi-Rise Clear Latch Box, Teal Sachet Lid and Handles:
"Store extra stuff" lid space fits taller items
2 Click Secure latches to keep lid in place
Double rim for added strength
Dimensions: 23.98"L x 16.81"W x 7.8"H

Walmart has a bunch of different "underbed storage containers".

https://www.walmart.com/ip/IRIS-50-Quar ... Qyp5uJLI2Y
Those would stack well or rack mount easily.

Return to “Tools and Jigs”