SuperMax 19/38 drum sander

Questions about tools and jigs you want to buy/build/modify.
Christ Kacoyannakis

SuperMax 19/38 drum sander

Post by Christ Kacoyannakis »

Title should be Supermax 19/38! Sorry. I am looking at purchasing a drum sander. I have read great reviews of the Jet 16/32 (which bought out Performax). I just found the SuperMax, and it is not much more than the Jet. SuperMax got started by the same folks that started Performax. After Jet bought them out, Jet decided that they didn't want to produce most of the sanders that Performax had made, so the original people started SuperMax (or so I gather from their web site). Anyway, the SuperMax is wider, and has some really nice features, and I am looking for anybody who has used one, owns one, or seen one, to give some reviews on quality, etc. Thanks.
Charlie Schultz
Site Admin

Re: SuperMax 19/38 drum sander

Post by Charlie Schultz »

Hi Christ & welcome- I've fixed the title for you.
Christ Kacoyannakis

Thanks.
Rick Davis

Post by Rick Davis »

I had a 16/32 Performax (pre-Jet) for eight years and loved it. There were some really minor fixes -- proper washers under a couple of bolts, guides for the conveyor belt, etc. -- but it did the job.

As my work increased, I went to the 25" model. I like the extra width (no more turning soundboards around to take a second pass) and the non-cantilever design. Overall, it works very like the 16/32 and has been a good, reliable workhorse. Of course, it costs almost twice as much to change paper, so I'm more careful about taking big bites of oily or resinous woods.

The main thing about Performax/Supermax is their customer service. After the horror of dealing with Delta et al., it's a pure pleasure to talk with the Supermax people. Knowledgeable about their products, helpful, generous, and amazingly they actually answer the phone!

Rick Davis
Christ Kacoyannakis

Good to know. I will look into that. Do you know if Jet is more like Delta or Performax? It would be nice to have the 18 inches, because that would mean no turning soundboards around, as the widest thing I do is 17 inches. But I don't want to waste money either. The Jet was rated top tool by Wood Magazine, and others have said it is the standard by which all others are judged. Of course it was a Performax before Jet bought them out. Just looking to see if anybody has any experience with the new SuperMax company or product. Most of their stuff is US made, but the 19/38 is made in Taiwan. Not sure where Jet has their machine made.

Return to “Tools and Jigs”