Neck Jig

Questions about tools and jigs you want to buy/build/modify.
Thomas Wentzel

Neck Jig

Post by Thomas Wentzel »

Greetings all. Wanted to share a photo of a jig I made to hold a guitar neck secure and level while I route slots for carbon fiber rods. I repair older guitars, and many times they don't have a truss rod, so these rods stiffen the neck and hold it straight. Most need neck sets, too, so the jig does not have to take the guitar body into consideration.
This is my second version of the jig, but I'm looking to improve it. Comments appreciated, and show me a photo of similar jigs you all may have.
This jig holds the neck secure at each end. I incorporated a large bolt right in the middle which will allow me to straighten a neck with too much bow. That way, I can route, remove the acrylic guides, and epoxy the rods in place all while the neck is held straight and flat. That way, I don't have to remove material from the neck or fingerboard to straighten.
One thing I'll change in the next incarnation is the 4 screws that hold the sliders for the acrylic guides in place. I'll likely drill four holes through the table and insert a threaded bolt, and find some kind of knob or wing nut to loosen and tighten the guides for adjustments for the slots. It was time consuming and not so accurate using phillips head screws.
Appreciate any feedback and ideas, thanks, Tom
Attachments
IMG_0515.JPG
Side view showing bolt to straighten a bowed neck.
Side view showing bolt to straighten a bowed neck.
NeckJig1.JPG
Louie Atienza

Re: Neck Jig

Post by Louie Atienza »

Nuce work! I think if you put washers under the screws would help greatly.
Thomas Wentzel

Re: Neck Jig

Post by Thomas Wentzel »

..thanks Louie, I have washers under the screw heads, and it helps, but is less than efficient or elegant. Tom

Return to “Tools and Jigs”