Sharpening Stone Lube

Questions about tools and jigs you want to buy/build/modify.
Brad Heinzen

Sharpening Stone Lube

Post by Brad Heinzen »

I'm curious about what folks are using on their sharpening stones, specifically diamond stones. I don't know where I saw it, but somebody I know told me about using window washing fluid (Windex, or something like it) on diamond stones to keep them from clogging. It works like a champ - no clogging, no blades 'sticking' to the stone when flattening backs, and really fast cutting.
Louie Atienza

Re: Sharpening Stone Lube

Post by Louie Atienza »

Brad Heinzen wrote:I'm curious about what folks are using on their sharpening stones, specifically diamond stones. I don't know where I saw it, but somebody I know told me about using window washing fluid (Windex, or something like it) on diamond stones to keep them from clogging. It works like a champ - no clogging, no blades 'sticking' to the stone when flattening backs, and really fast cutting.
I just use water normally; I submerse the diamond stone in a metal tray...
John Hamlett

Post by John Hamlett »

I have diamond stones, Japanese water stones, and Arkansas stones. I use water for the diamond stones and water stones, sometimes with a little detergent or "Windex", and I use honing oil on the Arkansas stones. If I had new Arkansas stones, I would use water with them too, but they are oil saturated now, so I'm sticking with oil.
(Actually, I'm still trying to get all the oil out of one of my water stones after my late father, who taught me to whittle and to sharpen, put oil on it. I didn't say anything, I just put the stone somewhere else so he wouldn't use it again.)
Steve Senseney

Post by Steve Senseney »

I use liquid detergent for my "oil" stones. It acts like a oily substance, but easily washes off with water.

Return to “Tools and Jigs”