One property of crabapple wood

Ask your wood and other materials questions here. Please DO NOT post pictures and ask us to identify your wood, we have found that accurate ID is nearly impossible, and such discussions will be deleted. Thanks.
Bob Gramann

One property of crabapple wood

Post by Bob Gramann »

I picked up a chunk of crabapple when my neighbor trimmed her tree a couple of weeks ago. I figured I would play with it and see if it was hard enough for a bridge or fingerboard. I don’t expect much out of this chunk since it grew a bit at an angle and it has knots. Anyway, I started to strip the bark before I put it in the shed to dry. You know how when you cut some apples, they start to oxidize and brown. Look at the picture below. The white spots were just cut with the drawknife. The red were scraped only minutes before. The wood reddens so quickly I barely had time to put down the drawknife and pick up the camera.
Attachments
F844F6FE-E41A-452F-898D-3BDB6BECEF1E.jpeg
F844F6FE-E41A-452F-898D-3BDB6BECEF1E.jpeg (70.68 KiB) Viewed 5319 times
Olivier Vandebroucke

Re: One property of crabapple wood

Post by Olivier Vandebroucke »

Well that's fascinating, I always love to see how x wood reacts to treatment y. Does anyone know if that's actually usable for musical instruments? I know that some of my relatives have made furniture out of apple tree wood, but well, in the countryside, there are 2 kinds of wood, the one that's suitable for furniture and the one that's suitable for the fireplace :lol:
Bob Howell

Re: One property of crabapple wood

Post by Bob Howell »

I have turned bowls from it but they usually crack. Its very unstable because usually you are working with the base which has the graft and lots of knots.

I did get a few charming ones so I keep trying.

Return to “Wood and Materials Q&A”