Persimmon

Ask your wood and other materials questions here. Please DO NOT post pictures and ask us to identify your wood, we have found that accurate ID is nearly impossible, and such discussions will be deleted. Thanks.
Dale Penrose

Persimmon

Post by Dale Penrose »

https://www.facebook.com/WildMeadowDulc ... =3&theater
Bought a little persimmon yesterday. After planing it, part of the board showed some curl, so thinking of using it for an instrument or two. Has anyone used persimmon? How does it bend?
Bob Gramann

Re: Persimmon

Post by Bob Gramann »

It bends very nicely. I have found it a bit unstable with humidity changes. It expands a bit along it’s length.
Alan Carruth

Post by Alan Carruth »

I made one guitar with persimmon B&S. It's an ebony, and bends like it. It's also one tough wood: if I were playing a gig in one of those places where they put chicken wire between you and the audience, that's the guitar I'd use.
Matthew Lau

Post by Matthew Lau »

Hey Al,

Any good suppliers?

I'm on the lookout for black persimmon.
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

Hi Matthew,
Most of the persimmon I have seen has a light brown to cream color with occasionally a few small black spots or streaks. Although in the ebony family it doesn't really have that much black colored wood.
Bob Gramann

Post by Bob Gramann »

And, the black colored wood I have seen in the ebony I have obtained is usually in or near the pith and is not structurally sufficient for use.
Alan Carruth

Post by Alan Carruth »

Good luck in fining any natural black persimmon. Tom Thiel has stopped working on the dying process, so far as I know, which is too bad. It was expensive to make, and a difficult sell, since the dyed persimmon ended up costing about the same as regular black ebony.
Bob Gramann

Post by Bob Gramann »

Change “ebony” to “persimmon” in my last post. Persimmon is American Ebony. (Diospyros virginiana)

Return to “Wood and Materials Q&A”