ABS binding ?

Ask your wood and other materials questions here. Please DO NOT post pictures and ask us to identify your wood, we have found that accurate ID is nearly impossible, and such discussions will be deleted. Thanks.
Robert Freemond

ABS binding ?

Post by Robert Freemond »

In an attempt to do everything in house I was thinking of making my own ABS binding. I know that ABS pipe is porous, but sheet stock is available & so is Vinyl.
I'm wondering if anyone here has used either with good results.
Clay Schaeffer

Re: ABS binding ?

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

I use PVC edge banding material. It comes in various thicknesses (1,2,and 3 mm generally) and widths and a million different colors (I use white and black). I bought a roll of 1 inch wide stuff (2mm thick?) and rip it to width to make plastic bindings. It is cheap and works as well as the plastic bindings the luthier shops sell. Some distributors sell thick wood edgebanding, but I haven't used any of that on guitars (only cabinets) but it might also be worth looking into.
Steve Sawyer

Post by Steve Sawyer »

Clay Schaeffer wrote:I use PVC edge banding material. It comes in various thicknesses (1,2,and 3 mm generally) and widths and a million different colors
Clay - I've been planning my next build, and was wondering if I could find some colored binding /purfling. Can you share your source for that?
==Steve==
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

Hi Steve,
I usually order mine (infrequently) through a local cabinet shop, and if you only need a few feet of it you may want to see if they have what you want in stock. Full rolls can be ordered online - google PVC edgebanding and a number of suppliers will come up. The rolls are about 300 ft long (approx. $70 to$90) and can make 600 to 900 feet of binding depending on how you cut it. I rip it to width on a table saw. A roll will do a lot of guitars! Unless you are a factory, 1 roll is probably a lifetime supply.
I need to order black as I have run out. As someone said about ebony after binding a guitar with it - It looks just like black plastic!
Here is a link to a seller I found with a quick google search (I've never ordered from them):

http://wholesalecabinetcomponents.com/i ... /list2.htm
Steve Sawyer

Post by Steve Sawyer »

Thanks, Clay. I'm going to be visiting a cabinet shop this week and I'll ask. I'm looking for enough in green to match/complement a dye job for ONE guitar, so 300' would be over-kill!
==Steve==

Return to “Wood and Materials Q&A”