What is the feature of good transducer

Pickups, magnets, microphones, amps, speakers, cabs, whatever...
Ronnie Oneal

What is the feature of good transducer

Post by Ronnie Oneal »

Transducer is a device that converts one form of energy into other.It converts signal in one form to signal in another form.A transducer has particular characteristic like accuracy and efficiency.The Dissertation writing service helped me to get some ideas on this topic.I want to know more about this device.How to identify a good transducer?
Barry Daniels

Re: What is the feature of good transducer

Post by Barry Daniels »

From a technical standpoint you want a transducer (piezo) with minimal quackification.

Just kidding on terms, but serious about tone. Many old transducers sounded like a duck and folks call that "quack". You'll know it when you hear it. And I don't know what electrical parameters are related to that type of tone. But many of the newer transducers have been able to largely reduce it.
MIMF Staff
John Clifford

Post by John Clifford »

Is there such a thing? I've still never heard one I liked. I much prefer the sound of magnetic pickups on acoustic guitars, even though they don't reproduce the acoustic sound. Of course microphones are the best option for that purpose.
David King

Post by David King »

A transducer is not necessarily a piezo, any pickup is a form of transducer as is any speaker/driver. A good transducer is one that easily fits into the current state of the musical environment which mostly dates from the 1940s and 50s. This fact is a huge limitation for the budget conscious musician. The term that always comes up for acoustic instruments is "transparency" -that you can start at 0 and gradually turn up the volume without hearing any difference between the amplified sound and the acoustic sound other than the volume. Unfortunately there will always be some phase shifting and cancelation between the original signal and the amplified one unless one is very careful with the location of the drivers and the pickup.
To further complicate things sounds is incredibly subjective. People in general aren't very good close listeners and the brain isn't really equipped to remember sounds accurately from more than a few seconds so making A-B comparisons is problematic unless the differences are large and obvious. What I've noticed many times with folks who play amplified music is that many of the musicians have experienced hearing loss especially in the high frequencies and that absolutely colors their judgement when it comes to choosing what they think sounds good or "right" to them to the detriment of what their audience hears later.
John Clifford

Post by John Clifford »

David King wrote:What I've noticed many times with folks who play amplified music is that many of the musicians have experienced hearing loss especially in the high frequencies and that absolutely colors their judgement when it comes to choosing what they think sounds good or "right" to them to the detriment of what their audience hears later.
Yup, that would be me. And you're right, I was referring specifically to piezos. Maybe people with better hearing like 'em.
Brian Evans

Post by Brian Evans »

I think the idea of a stand-alone "transducer" is almost meaningless. It's part of a system, from the instrument through signal processing and audio amplification. I think the biggest breakthrough has been signal processing, to be able to take the imperfect signal from the transducer and modify it as needed to make it sound like the acoustic instrument. Fishman's systems with the Aura imaging pedal come to mind. Magnetic pickups are a different thing - they, and their amplifiers, were developed jointly to achieve a desired sound. The processing is built in.

Return to “Electronics”